Elihu and Hannah Rogers deed additional land adjacent to the church for the sum of $600.
Church building is occupied at present location, East and Monroe Streets.
Abraham Lincoln delivers “Lost Speech” at Majors’ Hall condemning slavery. Republican Party formed.
Committee is formed to plan a church building and raise subscriptions to cover costs. Later in the year, the cornerstone is laid for the church building with a planned cost of $15,000.
David and Sarah Davis, William and Judith Allin, and William and Sarah Flagg deed land for the erection of a church building for the sum of $1 at the present church location.
Second Presbyterian Church of Bloomington was founded June 3,1855 by 34 individuals opposed to slavery. The First Presbyterian Church of Bloomington, founded in 1833, had hired a pro-slavery pastor. This, along with the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed in 1854, was the impetus for 14 members from the First Church to join with 12 […]